Friday, March 14, 2008

The coming baby

In an attempt to start preparing Logan for the arrival of a new brother/sister this September, we've begun talking to him about being a big brother and having a baby in the house. I didn't think he was really getting it until after my doctor's appointment yesterday. He watched "the mommy TV", according to him, and got very excited to hear a heartbeat. He kept saying, "I hear it, I hear heartbeat." Well, thanks to my husband, Logan is expecting a baby brother. That afternoon, he crawled up into my lap and we had the following conversation.

Logan: "I'm the baby."
Mommy: "You'll always be my first baby but don't you want to be a big boy now?"
Logan: "Nope, I'm baby."
Logan: "I want my brod'er!"
Mommy: "We have to wait a while before your brother can come out of my tummy."
Logan: (much louder) "I want my brod'er NOW!"

Then later that day,

Logan comes into the kitchen holding up his shirt: "My brod'er is in my beebo." (our word for belly button)
Mommy: "No, boys don't make the babies, Mommies make the babies."
-He pauses looks confused at his tummy, looks at my tummy then...
Logan: "My brod'er is in my Mommy's beebo!" (repeated several times)

Then he pulled me down and puts his face to my beebo and said "Brod'er come out NOW! Play cars!"

Ahhh...life with a two year old!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The first such conversation, of many I am sure, between now and the birth of the "brod'er."