Nathaniel's Birth Story
Nate finally decided to join the family on September 13, 2008. My water broke at 3am, much to my surprise, and off we went. When we arrived, I was only at 2 1/2 cm and 60%. We got settled in and ready for the big day. I ended up on potosin to speed things along and finally had an epidural at 4cm. I was having contractions in the upper 90s for about 6 or so hours and hadn't made any progress. It was starting to take it's effect on Nate though and his heartbeat would dip with each of my contractions. Below is a picture of me at this point in the day.
The doctors had been trying to convince me to have a c-section from the moment I hit the door. Apparently VBAC is a liability and they continued to "offer" me the option of surgery. As things dragged on without any real changes, they decided to take me off the potosin and give the baby a break and see if his heartbeat would stabilize. At the same time, my epidural stopped working. A started to feel all parts of my body again just as the contractions amped up. not fun! For about an hour or so, I had contractions about every minute or so and quickly realized that natural birth is pretty intense and sweaty business. I asked for drugs but because there was a good chance I was going into surgery, they didn't give me anything more than a little dose that last about 30 minutes. The doctor returned and said I had two choices. I could go back on potosin, stress out the baby and have an emergency c-section or I could have a c-section now. I asked her to check my cervix one more time before we decided. We prayed that the Lord would make the answer clear. As she reached in, she said, "I've just decided for you, you're 8 1/2 cm and your going to labor this baby!" I cried I was so relieved that it was going to happen. So she left and for another hour or so I transitioned (sans drugs). I'm sure many of the noises I made weren't entirely human! She came back and finally gave me permission to push. TEN MINUTES later, out popped Nate.
Nate was 19.25 inches long, 6 lbs. 11 oz and scored 9 apgar. He was bright eyed , screaming, and kicking from the moment he hit the world.

The nurses couldn't get over how alert and active he was.
Our new baby boy
We feel so blessed to have two boys in our family.
We thank God for this new little one and the answer to our prayers for a safe and healthy delivery.
2 comments:
Yippeeeee!!!! Congratulations he is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!
The answer to a lot of people's prayers, praise the Lord forever!
Post a Comment